Dr. PONNI CONCESSAO, Architect / Interiors
CURRENT PROJECTS & SPECIALIZATIONS
Architecture & Urban Design of Engineering and Medical campuses, Sustainable Green Buildings, Eco Friendly Architecture, Affordable Housing, Tsunami Housing, Central Government & State Government Buildings, Special Economic Zones (SEZ) Townships, IT Parks, Biotech Parks & Hospitals, Hotels and Resorts, High-rise Apartments & Office Towers, Stadiums, Residential Schools, Skyscrapers, High Rise Office and Residential Towers, Corporate offices, Apartments, Luxury bungalows, Interiors for Five Star Hotels, Resorts, Restaurants, Software Parks and Luxury residences, Projects built in Middle East, USA, and several cities in India.
- Schooling at Church Park Convent, Chennai, Tamilnadu State
- B.Arch 1987, University of Madras, Regional Engineering College, Tiruchirapalli (NIT).
- Masters in Design 1989, Cornell University, USA
- Advanced professional Studies 1992, Harvard University, USA.
- Ph.D. in Modern Architecture, February 2008.
- Diploma Designing in Stone, Verona, Italy, October 2010.
- Honorary Doctorate in Architectural Science, Universita Milano, 2014.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Worked with Edward Larabbee Barnes Architect, New York City, USA.
High Rise apartments, Office Towers, Educational Institutions, Stadiums.
- Worked with the Yonkers Planning Department, New York, USA.
- National Trust of Historic Preservation, Washington D.C., USA.
Won more than 97 International, National and State Awards for Architecture and Interior Design.
- Won 2 BAM Awards for Architectural Hospitality Project of the Year & Architectural Eco- Friendly Innovative Project of the Year on February 4, 2019 at New Delhi.
- Won 2 Awards for Best Interior Design For Commercial & Residential Villa at the Realty+Conclave & Excellence Awards – 2018, South on November 22nd, 2018 at Bengaluru.
- Won the Best Architecture & Interior Design Excellence Award, August 2018 by Beginup, Research & Technology, Bengaluru.
- Won the The Jewel of Chennai Award by BNI, Azpire, Chennai August 2018, Women Entrepreneur.
- Won Two Estrade Real Estate Awards 2017 the Architect of the Year-Public Institute Architecture for GRT Institute of Technology and Interior Design Private residence for the project in Bishnoi Residence, at Singapore September 2017.
- Won Two Icons of Spaces Awards 2017 at Singapore, Architecture – Institutional Project – St. Bede’s School and Auditorium, Interior Architecture – Residential Group Housing – SARE Dewy Terraces, September 2017.
- India Business Awards 2017 – Best Creative Architecture & Interior Design Firm in Tamilnadu.
- Archi Design Awards – Best Institutional / University Design Award 2016, GRT Institute of Technology, Tirutani, Tamilnadu.
- Won 6 Awards The Indian institute of Architects Tamil Nadu Chapter at Chennai June, 2017.
- Won the “Most Promising Architect in India” By Merit Architect & Design Awards 2017 at New Delhi January 2017
- Won 2 International Estrade Awards, Singapore for Architect of the
Year Commercial and Residential Interiors October 2016
- Won the Indian Buildings Congress National Award and Gold Medal
for the Paper 3D Printing for Affordable Housing
- Won 2 Projects ETL BPO Park & GRT Campus By Indian Institute of
Architects, TN Chapter for Architectural Footprints II
- Won Two Icons of Spaces Awards 2016 Architecture – Commercial Project – Laurel Shopping Mall, Interior Design – Leisure Project Apollo Wellness Centre at Singapore July 2016.
- Awarded the Eminent Women Architect Designer (WADe) Award, India.
May 2016 at New Delhi
- Awarded Indian Buildings Congress Smt. Satya Goel Memorial National
Award, 2014 for Eminent Women Building Professional from Shri
Chaudhary Birender Singh, Hon’ble Union Minister for Rural Development, Panchayathi Raj, Water & Sanitation, September 1, 2015, New Delhi
- Indian Creative Architectural Award 2015 – Award for Best Private Residence of the year (Raghavan House)
- Indian Creative Architectural Award 2015 – Award for Best Leisure project of the year (Apollo Wellness Centre)
- Indian Creative Architectural Award 2015 – Award for Best Private Residence of the year (Sare Township)
- Won Two Archi Design Awards for the year 2014 for Residential Interiors and Shopping Mall project, March 2015, New Delhi
- Won Society Interiors Award 2015 for Outstanding contribution to Architecture & Design at Mumbai February 2015
- Won One ASIA Fest 2014-15 Artists in Concrete International Awards at Mumbai for Raghavan Residence (Residential –Big) Mumbai, January 2015.
- Won One ASIA Fest 2014-15 Artists in Concrete International Awards at Mumbai for Dr. Mastan Hospital (Hospital – Big) Mumbai, January 2015.
- Won One ASIA Fest 2014-15 Artists in Concrete International Awards at Mumbai for Indiana Restaurant (Restaurant & Bar small) Mumbai, January 2015.
- Won One ASIA Fest 2014-15 Artists in Concrete International Awards at Mumbai for Poppys Anukula Residency (Hotel – Big) Mumbai, January 2015
- Winner of World Architecture Award 20+10+X18th Cycle for Raghavan Residence 15th January,2015.
- Excellence in Architecture & Design, Festival of Architecture & Interior Designing 2014 ICON Award Top Architects of India, September 27, 2014
- Won the Distinguished Alumni Award from National Institute of Technology, NIT, Tiruchirapalli, for the Golden Jubilee Celebrations from Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam, Former President of India.
- Won the National Design Competition for Hyderabad Metro Rail Viaduct Landscaping, February 2014.
- Sare Homes for SARE Crescent Parc-120 Acres Township, Chennai Awarded he Integrated Township of the Year 2014 of Southern India at Realty Plus Excellence Awards
- Won Two ASIA Fest 2013-14 Artists in Concrete International Awards at
Pune for Accord Hotel Puducherry and Apollo Wellness Center, Pune,
- Won 2 National Awards, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment 2013 for Accord Hotel, Puducherry, and Best Paper State of the Art Building Technology.
- Sare Township- Chennai, Chennai Real Estate Awards October 2013, Silicon India & DHFL
- Won 2 international awards from AICA awards, Artists in Concrete at Pune for Public Buildings, March 2013.
- Won 3 National Awards, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment, 2012, awarded by Smt. Deepa Dasmunshi, Union Minister of State for Urban Development, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, January 17, 2013.
- Excellence in Public works Architecture, Construction Industry Awards 2012, Kattuman Thozhil, September 16 2012, presented by Dr. K Rosaiah, His Excellency The Governor of Tamilnadu.
- WOMEN’S ACHIEVER AWARD, 2012 FROM STAR TV.
- Architectural Creation of the Year Award – Runner, Awarded by the Indian Institute of Architects – Tamilnadu Chapter, April 28, 2012.
- Won 6 National AICA Awards, Artists in Concrete Awards at Pune, 2012 for Hotel Interiors, Institutional, Cultural, and Township projects.
- Outstanding Achiever’s Award, Indian Architecture Design Festival (IADF 2011) September 16, 2011.
- Certificate of Merit Realty Excellence Awards – South 2011 for Sare Township
- Certificate of Merit Residential Excellence Award 2011, Crescent Park_Dewy Terraces-Residential Property of the Year
- Citilights Meadows-Social Housing & Public Housing selected by IIA to participate at the ARCASIA 2011-2012, Vietnam.
- Award for “Excellence in Built Environment-2009” for Citilights Meadows Apartments, Chennai, by Indian Building Congress, Awarded by Honourable Minister. Mr. S. Jaipal Reddy & Mr. Mangat Ram Singhal , 17 June 2010 New Delhi.
- Archi Design Award 2009 Award for Best Institutional Building 2009 for Sastra Arts & Sciences, Tanjore.
- Award for 20th IIA-Awards 2008 for Excellence in Architecture for “Sastra Biotech Park”, Tanjore, Tamilnadu by the Indian Institute of Architects Nov 2008. Received Award from Architect Vinay M. Parelkar, President, The Indian Institute of Architects, on May 29th, 2009 at Town Hall, Kolkata.
- Chairman’s Award 2007, Archi Design Awards for Excellence in Architecture.
- Society Interiors 2006 – Award for Creative Excellence in Architecture & Interiors.
- The Built Environment 2004 Award from Union Minister Mr. Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- Best Ladies Circle for Area II from Round Table India 2003.
- Best Chairperson Award for Ladies Circle India 2003.
- President’s Theme Award from Ladies Circle India, 2003.
- Financial award for Graduate Studies, Cornell University, USA.
- Recipient of the College of Human Ecology Grant of Thesis Research.
- J N D Tata Endowment Scholarship for Higher Studies Abroad.
- Merit Scholarship throughout undergraduate studies.
- Won several awards for design and paper presentations at Regional and National levels.
- Honorable Mention, 1991 Salem Witch Trials Tercentenary National Design competition.
- Key Note speaker for Infratech International Conference, Chennai, April 2005, on Emerging Trends in Information Technology Parks.
- Speaker at International Conference on Stone Technology, at Jaipur, November 2007.
- Speaker at the 15th Annual Convention, Indian Building Congress, July 19, 2009, on Innovative Materials in Building Construction, New Delhi.
- Speaker at the 16th Annual Convention, Indian Building Congress, June 19, 2010, Seminar on Sustainable Development & Environment Concerns, New Delhi.
- Speaker at the Mid Term Session of the Indian Building Congress May 25, 2012, Kolkata, on Role of Architects in Pre Engineered Buildings.
- Speaker at the Indian Buildings Congress-Mid- term Session on Technological Advances in Construction Industry April 9, 2011, Haryana.
- Key note speaker on Womens’ Education for the Annual Day of Bains School, on April 2011, Chennai
- Speaker at the 18th Annual Convention, Indian Building Congress, January 17-19, 2013, New Delhi, Training, Skill Up gradation & Competence Development in Building Industry.
- Indian Architect Delegate at the Arbitare Tempo, Verona October 23 to 25, 2012.
- Speaker at the Indian Buildings Congress, Mid Term Session on State of the Art Building Technology, Patna, Bihar April 28, 2013
- Women in Architecture – Panel Speaker Economic Times – ET Edge, National Architecture & Design Summit, Mumbai August 28 & 29, 2013.
- Speaker at MEASI Academy of Architecture on Architectural Practice and Projects, September 16, 2013.
- Speaker at the National conference on Bathrooms and Beyond in Ahmedabad, June 1st and 2nd 2013.
- Speaker at the International conference on Historic Preservation at College of Architecture & Engineering, Thiruvananthapurum, December 19, 2014.
- Speaker at the National conference on Historic Preservation at Meenakshi College of Architecture & Engineering, Kanchipurum, January 23, 2015.
- Speaker at the Economic Times – Trends in Real Estate, Conference in Chennai, March 21, 2014.
- Speaker at the Indian Kitchen Congress, Branding Kitchens, April 4 & 5, 2014 at Bengaluru.
- Speaker On Entrepreneurship at National Institute of Technology, Golden Jubilee Celebrations, Tiruchirapalli, July 19, 201, 2014.
- Projects and Technical papers widely published in leading Architectural Journals and National newspapers.
- Speaker at National Conference on Smart cities-Transparence 2015 by Saint Gobain in Hindustan University, Chennai on 27th February 2015.
- Speaker at the International Conference on Smart Buildings @ Pune on 22nd April.
- Speaker at the International Conference on Smart Buildings-automation Legrand in Srinagar, May 15th, 2015.
- Speaker at International Conference on smart cities Summit 2015 @ Pragati Maidan, New Delhi on 22nd May 2015
- Speaker at the Indian Buildings Congress, 20th Annual Convention on Smart Urban Governance of Smart Cities, New Delhi, September 2, 2015
- Speaker at the ZONASA Convention, SVC College of Architecture, Coimbatore on Smart Technology & Smart Interiors, September 5, 2015
- Speaker at the Indian Buildings Congress National Seminar, 2016, 2017
- Jury for Acetech Design Wall, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Jury for Wade Asia at New Delhi 2018
- Jury & Panel Speaker at FOAID, 2017, 2018
- Jury & Panel Speaker Washrooms & Beyond May 2018
ARCHITECTURE JURIES / UNIVERSITY EXAMINER / EXHIBITIONS
- B. Arch Thesis Review Panel for Anna University for Measi Academy of
- B. Arch thesis juror/ faculty for Anna University for Measi Academy of Architecture, New College, Chennai and School of Architecture & Planning, Chennai, Anna University.
- Inside – Outside Jury for the best Product Stalls, Chennai Trade Center, September 8, 2012, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Indian Architect & Builder/LEGRAND Design Directions 50 firms, India Exhibition, Chennai October 15, 2010.
- National Honorary Jury Member, The Economic Times ACETECH Design Wall Team, August 30, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, Mumbai.
- Honored by the Alagankulam Jamaat for the design and construction of Community Hall, Alagankulam, Tamil Nadu.
- Organized first international solo Art Exhibition in Art Houz, Chennai, inaugurated by His Excellency Masanori Nakano, Consul General, Consulate of Japan, Chennai.
- Given several interviews on Architecture and Womens’ Rights in digital and Print Media.
- Eminent Jury Member, Design Wall, The Economic Times ACETECH 2014, September 5, 2014
- Jury Member DESIGN WALL, ACETECH 2015 at Sahara Hotel, Mumbai, August 28, 2015
NATIONAL & STATE TECHNICAL COMMITTEES & UNIVERSITIES
- International Roster of Architects United Nations, for UNCHS, 1994.
- Year 2006 nominated member State high level committee for multi storey buildings DTCP – Directorate of Town and Country Planning for the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Governing Council Member, Indian Building Congress 2008, New Delhi for Tamilnadu State.
- Member, Governing Council for Architecture, Meenakshi University, Tamilnadu.
- Honorary Advisor, Architecture, Dr. MGR University, Tamilnadu.
- Member Corporate Advisory Board, SRM University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Governing Council Member Mother Theresa Women’ University Kodaikanal 2016
TV CHANNELS INTERVIEWS / MAGAZINES / NEWSPAPERS
- Featured in TV Asia, New York, October, 1993.
- Featured in several newspapers such as Indian Express, Times of India, The Hindu, Business Line, Tamil News Papers, Tamil dailies and Architectural magazines.
- Architecture and Interior Design of various blue-chip companies spaces.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Hotels – Five and Three Star Hotels & Resorts.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Software / I.T. Parks.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Industrial spaces.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Luxury Homes.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Institutional campus spaces.
SOCIAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- International Roster of Architects United Nations, for UNCHS, 1994.
- Paul Harris Fellow, 1998.
- Chairperson, Madras Mylapore Ladies Circle No. 4 – Year 2003.
- Ladies Circle India, Convener, Women Achievement Awards, 2002.
- Rotary Club and Round Table Organizations.
- Construction of noon-meal centres in Chennai
- Construction of Tsunami Housing in Tamil Nadu.
- Construction of school for children of leprosy victims for the Rising Star Outreach.
- Organized several medical camps as part of Rotary activities.
- Constructed school facilities for under-privileged children in Tamil Nadu.
- Contributed Paintings towards “ARTEX” The art exhibition in Dubai for Charity to raise funds for the upliftment of children with special needs
- Governing Board Member, Leprosy School, 2015
- Registered Architect, Indian Institute of Architects.
- Registered Architect, Council of Architecture.
- Associate, American Institute of Architects.
- Associate, American Society of – Interior Design.
- Associate, American Planners Association.
- Associate, American Solar Energy Society.
- Associate, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
- Member, Indian Institute of – Interior Design.
- Member, National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- Member, Ladies Circle India.